Ever wonder what makes commercial hot cocoa mixes taste better than homemade? There’s an ingredient most home cooks don’t have on hand; this commercial secret is POWDERED VANILLA! Oh my, it makes all the difference in a homemade cocoa mix recipe. Doesn’t matter whether it has sugar or the best sugar-free powder, even peppermint powder (or what) I’ve got you COVERED!
Hot Cocoa Dry Mix
by Sharon Anne
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder (NOT boxed instant*)
1/2 cup powdered sugar or (Powdered Whey Low)
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 Tbsp powdered vanilla
(Yes, it’s the secret!)
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp Cocoa Mix
6-oz HOT water, fill mug HALF full
2 Tbsp heavy cream or milk, to taste
- Dry Cocoa Mix: Whisk ingredients into a container.
- Per Serving: Combine 3 for 4-Tablespoons cocoa mix with HALF a (8-oz) mug of HOT water.
- Thin with more hot water, milk or cream.
(Tips & Techniques…)
- Dry Milk: If you only have a boxed instant dry milk variety, you could grind that FIRST into a fine powder with food processor, before measuring accurately for recipes calling for regular powdered milk.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp peppermint powder (optional) to the mix.